Just say it! Searching by voice with the new Google Mobile App for iPhone

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM



Call me lazy, but sometimes I just don't have the time or the patience to type a search query on my iPhone. Well, no more excuses. With the new release of the Google Mobile App for iPhone, I can just hold the phone to my ear, wait for the tone and say stuff like "Indian restaurants." And just like that, I'm looking at a bunch of places that will easily satisfy my craving.

And, of course, while I'm enjoying my Tandoori chicken, I can use the voice search feature to settle important disputes with my friends without ever having to lift a finger. I say "lyrics to Purple Haze" and Google quickly proves I was right. Ha ha! "How much wood COULD a woodchuck chuck?" I knew it! "Where HAVE all the flowers gone?" Wow. Didn't know that one.

The new release can also make use of my current location when I search. So whether I'm in San Francisco, Chicago, or New York City, "Indian restaurants" is all I have to say to get my next Tandoori chicken fix.

Just remember not to search with your mouth full. It's going to be harder now, for sure.

To get the latest Google Mobile App for iPhone, go to the App Store and search for "Google Mobile App." Note that voice search will be enabled by default for U.S. English users only. You can learn more about the new Google Mobile App for iPhone on the Google mobile blog and by watching this overview video: