GrabFS: The Screenshot File System

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 1:29 PM



A while ago, I wrote about procfs for Mac OS X, a MacFUSE-based file system. Subsequently, I added more cool features to my procfs implementation. Recently, I had reason to demonstrate procfs again and realized that I needed still more cool features. That need led to GrabFS.

In a nutshell, GrabFS is a file system that shows you a live view of the window contents of currently running applications. In a GrabFS volume, folders represent running applications and image files represent instant screenshots ("grabs") of the applications’ windows. You simply copy a file or just open it in place, and you have a screenshot. Open it again, and you have a new screenshot!

Go here to read more about GrabFS and to download it. GrabFS requires Mac OS X Leopard and MacFUSE.